Today we began rehearsals for Unprescribed. We were worried that we might have forgotten everything since we last performed it in August, so we were pleasantly surprised to find out that the show came back to us quite quickly. We did two speed run throughs to remind ourselves of the order of the show and to remember our lines. Katherine also did a lot of production work in the morning, and booked us an interview on BBC Radio Norfolk on Tuesday, 26 May at 2:30 pm. Exciting!
Today was our final day of rehearsals for Deliverance. We did two run-throughs. The first one was a speed run, so we tried to say and do everything as quickly as possible to see if we knew our lines and blocking. The speed run highlighted some of the comedic moments in the play, in particular Scene 2 between Melody and Kristen. We realized that a quick pace really helps the comic nature of the scene. The second run through showed us that we can get through the entire play, so
Today we finished going through the whole play. We spent one hour devising around the ending of scene 3, in which Peppy reads a poem called Ithaca by Constantine Cavafy. We were trying to create interesting images to support that moment. We really don't have much time left, since starting the day after tomorrow we have to rehearse Unprescribed. We perform it on 26 and 27 May. We haven't rehearsed or performed Unprescribed since last August, so we need to rehearse it, and to
Today (Monday) we came back to rehears at the Garage theatre. Changing the rehearsing room was a good change, Even though we didn't have the bars how keep Katherine hanging upside down. We decided to go to the beginning of the play. So we started with scene 1 and worked on that for a while. Feeling the disadvantages of the fast process. On one hand we can feel and see our progress and how the world of the play is coming together, on the other hand we know how much more work n
Today was our last day at Bill's house. We began the day with a warm up outside in the sunshine. The plan was to finish the play today. Katherine's character, Melody, needs to be hanging upside down for the first and the final scenes of the play. Bill got this idea when he himself was hanging upside down on an inversion table he has to help his back problems, which we have now decided we will use as the 'transposition bars' in the show. Katherine has spent quite some time in
We began rehearsal today at 9:00 am with a good warm up. We worked on Justina's monologue from scene 4, and tried to understand each character's motivation -- what the characters want and need from each other. When we understand the meaning and the subtext of the lines, our work becomes much more accurate. Each character undertakes a journey in the play and we need to have a deep understanding of that process. We begin by looking at the overall narrative of the play, and th
We started the day with a good warm up. Then we took some time to learn lines. Afterwards we rehearsed the 2 and 3 scenes together. The process is developing and we found comedic moments for the characters. Sarah's character- Peppy is a drank Marry Poppins and we have a great deal of fun coming up with things she can do. We began thinking about the costumes in turns of colors and how they create the characters. Using the props and the costumes that we already have is starting
We began the day reading the text through with Bill Gallagher, the playwright, to gain his perspective on the characters and the potential for each scene. It was very beneficial to gain his insight. Then we built the foundations for Scene 1 between Melody and Lita. We got the play on its feet and Katherine on her head. See time-lapse gallery for pictures!
We dedicated the weekend to continuing our research of the text, so that we are well prepared to get the play ‘onto its feet’ next week during our intensive rehearsals in Suffolk. Our main goal at this point in the process remains to be investigating the world of the play, so that we can make decisions about how the characters act within that world. We did this by dividing the scenes into bits and analysing the text line by line to figure out the dramatic action behind each s
Today, we decided to prioritise getting a feel for the whole play, so we ran through the entire script. We wanted to gain a greater understanding of the process that each character is going through. One of our biggest challenges this month is time, with only 4 weeks to bring this text to life. So, we are using time as a material and exploring how this can benefit us. Running through the entire text today taught us a lot, not only about each character’s process, but also a